Friday, September 11, 2009

Cloth Diapers!!

No not the cloth diapers from Gramma's days. The ones that are around nowadays are pretty hi tech...if you ask me. I've started experimenting with what they call 'pocket diapers' They have a waterproof outer shell, so baby (and mom) stay dry. On the inside is a soft lining with a pocket on the back side of the butt, you slide in an absorbent fabric insert to soak up pees and poops. When it's time to change dump the poop in the toilet, if any, and take out the insert and throw the outer shell and the insert in a hamper to be washed. So far so good.

I think these are a good idea because the ones I have been purchasing are adjustable, they are meant to fit babies from 8 pounds up to 30. I don't think a brand new baby will fit in them right away, but after he or she gains a few pounds they should be able to work out well for him/her and Kylie. I have eight pairs right now. So I can keep Kylie in them for a day, and was them the next day or day after. I have more coming in the mail, because I just don't see myself doing laundry EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Laundering these diapers is a breeze. I bought a special detergent, not very expensive at all, with no fragrance or softeners or brighteners. A TINY scoop seems to do the job quite well. The box I bought is supposed to last 160 loads. If I can manage to keep up on the laundry, currently I'm a twice a week launderer, I believe I'll have loads (pun intended) of success cloth diapering my little ones.

I like to think that I'm helping the environment, I feel horrible throwing away pounds and pounds of disposable diapers. It's probably close to 50 pounds a week, and that's just one babys worth. We all know they don't decompose. They just sit there, where...I don't know? You'd think with all the diapers we are throwing out we'd see giant diaper mountains all over the place. Well who knows, but I feel better already for doing my part in cutting down on how many I'm throwing away. Buying disposables is basically like paying for garbage, use once and destroy. Pretty sad, it's like throwing your money away.

So, I will post an update once I'm in the full swing of things. It's been pretty exciting so far and I feel pretty confident that this is the right choice for me and my family. And that's always a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment